Monday, March 2, 2009

Hint of the Day: Buttons in a pinch


It's a snow day in this Church Lady's part of the eastern seaboard, but I had a baby sweater that needed finishing for a newborn recipient at a local domestic violence shelter and not enough buttons in the house.

I did, however, have Nicky Epstein's Knitting Beyond the Edge checked out from the library, and used her suggestion of making buttons (and loops) out of I-cord.

It's the easiest thing in the world, and you are guaranteed that your buttons will match the garment exactly. Each button takes only a few inches of I-cord- maybe 18 inches of yarn. It's also a great way to use up scraps (as this entire project was- I didn't have more than 1/4 skein of anything). For more delicate buttons, try using embroidery floss or sock yarn.

My buttons were simply coiled rosettes. Our friends at Boy Scout Troop 7 have more knot ideas for different looks. Experiment to find a a good fit for your garment, then sew it on with matching yarn.

No comments: