Wednesday, November 16, 2011

(Recipe) Hint of the Day: Stable Whipped Cream

Pie season is upon us, and the last thing you want to do is resort to the spray can, but if you're like me, no amount of chilling or coaxing seems to yield whipped cream that will hold peaks long enough to actually get it to the dessert table. That is, until now.

Last night I tried Nancy Silverton's recipe (atop Miette's Hot Milk Cake), and it still looks as perky as can be this afternoon. The secret? Just add 1 part crème fraîche or sour cream for every 4 parts cream, just before it gets to the stage where it can hold soft peaks. Not only does the secret ingredient do wonders for the texture, it adds a lovely, very subtle flavor note, especially if, like me, you leave your cream unsweetened.

Note: I skipped the hand-whisking and did it all in my stand mixer, which is ancient enough as to not even have a whisk attachment. It was still perfect, in my estimation.

No comments: