Friday, February 24, 2012

My Lenten Challenge

One of the things I love about Lent is the challenge to simplify my life and make room for important things. While pondering the spiritual clutter this week, I kept picturing other clutter; the time it takes from my life and the resources that could be going to better use elsewhere.

Where did I put that birthday gift I bought 6 months ago now that his birthday is coming up soon? Is it really necessary to keep all 50 of these cookbooks when I use the same 10 or so over and over? (You get the idea.)

Anyway, along the lines of the 40 Bags in 40 Days challenge, I'm making a list of random places in my home that can be simply cleaned and organized. We've lived in the same house for 20+ years and it's quite surprising to consider all the places that are hidden away from sight but still get filled to the brim with stuff I don't even use or want anymore! To make it doable, I tried to choose small places that could easily be organized in a short period of time (hence, my 6-drawer desk could take 6 days), but by the end of Lent I'm looking forward to a greater sense of detachment, a better use of my time (not searching for that missing whatever) and a greater overall sense of stewardship as I bring things to my favorite charity garage sale this spring.

My List:
  • desk drawers
  • silverware drawer
  • cookbook collection
  • closet shelf
  • DVD cabinet
  • Holiday decorations
  • shoe collection
  • out-of-season clothes
  • sock/underwear drawer
  • night stand
  • pantry
  • freezer
  • magazine basket/rack
  • bookshelf
  • under the bed
  • craft area
  • yarn/fabric stash
  • toy box
  • make-up bag
  • hair stuff
  • nail polish
  • linen closet
  • bathroom cabinets
  • car glove compartment, console, trunk
  • Mitten box (hats, umbrellas, etc.)
  • top of my file cabinet

No comments: