Friday, January 16, 2009

Hint of the Day: The Holy Card System


To commemorate the feast of the day on my home altar, I display a holy card or a holy card sized image set in a plate holder.

But I was getting increasingly frustrated with not being able to find the cards I needed, especially after the collection doubled after getting married, so I spent a morning putting the following system in place.

First, I sorted all the holy cards by devotion and weeded out the duplicates for enclosing with correspondence. Then I put them in piles according to what month the feast fell, along with some seasonal piles like Advent, Christmastide, Lent, and Easter, and separate piles for family death cards, commemorative holy cards, etc.

I put each pile in its own envelope. Each of the months has the name of the month on the front, and a list of the saints/devotions that I have and their feast day on the back, eg 21- St Agnes.

I keep all the envelopes in a box in chronological order, with the current month at the front, date-side forward, which I store in the top drawer of the bureau/home altar, so I can easily see if I have an image for the day.

3 comments:

F. S. Poesy said...

I'll take two please! Wait, where's the order form?

EC Gefroh said...

Thanks for posting this. I was having the same problem. I posted about it on my blog.

Dymphna said...

You are far more organized than I. I'm bobbing a curtsey in your honor.