Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Taking a Break

The findings have surfaced with ominous regularity over the last few years, and with little notice: Members of the clergy now suffer from obesity, hypertension and depression at rates higher than most Americans. In the last decade, their use of antidepressants has risen, while their life expectancy has fallen. Many would change jobs if they could.
Read more here on the vital topic of stress and burnout among members of the clergy. Although most of the article is written about the issues Protestant clergy face, I can't help thinking about the priests I know. Do they get a break? Do they have regular down time? How demanding of them am I? And perhaps most important, what can I do to better support them?

1 comment:

Lucy said...

You beat me to posting this article! It was linked in Harvard Business Review article I had to review at work today about work-life balance.