Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I love cooking with the liturgical year and all

But I am not making today's recommended dish for St Louis, King of France.

Directions
Cut the eel in rounds. Mix with it yolks of eggs, parsley, mushrooms, asparagus, soft roes, verjuice, or gooseberries if in season, and do not stint either butter, or salt, or pepper. Spread this on an undercrust and cover it with pastry. In order to hold it together, butter narrow bands of paper, and putting them around the pastry, bind them lightly on. Bake the pâté and, when it is cooked, mix the yolks of three eggs with a dash of verjuice and a little nutmeg; and when you are ready to serve, pour in your sauce into the pâté and mix it well. Open the pâté and serve with the crust cut in four.



Margaret Mary suggests French toast instead...

Image source

2 comments:

Margaret Mary said...

I'm not a squeamish person; really, I'm not! But I refuse to eat something that would send me running in the opposite direction, perhaps while screaming. No amount of delicious French cooking could overcome the mental image of that eel! I'm going to click over to another blog with nicer pictures now...

TheresaFrances said...

Oh, eel is fantastic! I LOVE it! I live in the South and my father caught an eel out of the swamp. He filleted and fried it. It was so good. It's a very light taste. That recipe had me all but drooling...