Sunday, October 18, 2009

This is the day the Lord has made

It seems that obligation has become a dirty word for many. For us Catholics, Sunday is a holy day of obligation, we are obliged to join our fellow Catholics at the Church for the sacrifice of the Mass.

But I have heard many say: “you shouldn’t be going to Church out of obligation…you should go because you like it…because you are inspired.” Well, I’m all for inspiration, for doing things that inspire you and for doing things out of inspiration. But what happens when you’re not inspired, when there are no good feelings? Do we cease giving glory to God in these times?

St. Paul says “I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate…I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do…So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand…Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

If Paul recognized the weakness of his human nature; how much more should we? Let us pray for the Spirit to strengthen us on this journey of faith that we might choose to honor and give praise to him…yes, even out of obligation. Keep holy the Sabbath!

[Curtis Kneblik]

No comments: