- 1 T olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- ¾ tsp fennel seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups baby spinach, packed (3 ounces)
- All-purpose flour, for sprinkling
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough (or one 13.8-ounce tube refrigerated)
- 5 T grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1½ cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- ¼ tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1½ cups warm marinara, for dipping
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and fennel seeds, and keep cooking until mushrooms are brown, stirring them often, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and oregano. Stir 1 minute. Add spinach, and stir just until wilted, about 1 minute. Take the pan off the heat, and scrape everything into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Grab a baking sheet, and line it with parchment. Sprinkle with flour. Place the dough on the baking sheet, and roll it into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. (If your dough keeps shrinking, let it rest for 15 minutes, and try again.)
Sprinkle 3 tablespoons Parmesan lengthwise over half of crust, leaving a one-inch border. Top with ¾ cup mozzarella, then mushroom mixture. Sprinkle 2 T parmesan and ¾ cup mozzarella over mushrooms. Spoon dollops of ricotta cheese over; sprinkle with crushed red pepper.
Fold plain half of dough up over filling. Crimp edges tightly to seal. Brush with oil. Bake calzone until puffed and brown, about 18 minutes.
Brush with oil again, and serve with marinara for dipping.