2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion; about 1 medium onion
8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
3 large cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme; use more or less to taste
1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
8 large eggs
½ cup milk
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
One 9" pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the butter.
- Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms start to lose their juices, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, thyme, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Stir to combine; remove from the heat.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Line the bottom of the crust with the cheese, top with the mushrooms, and pour in the egg mixture.
- Bake the quiche for 35 to 40 minutes, until the edge of the crust is brown, and the filling appears set.
- Remove the quiche from the oven, and serve warm.