Saturday, February 27, 2010

40 Meatless Meals: Potato Gratin


Adapted from Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking"

2 T olive oil

2 T butter
1/2 cup minced onion

4 eggs
4 T milk
4 T minced fresh herbs
2/3 c grated cheese
salt and pepper

3 potatoes

Preheat the oven to 375. Grease pie dish with olive oil.

Melt butter in skillet. Sautee onions about 5 minutes, until translucent. Remove from heat. Set pie dish in oven to preheat.

Beat eggs; fold in milk, herbs, cheese, and salt and pepper. Stir in onions, using a spatula to transfer all the butter.

Peel and grate potatoes. Press all the liquid out. Mix potatoes into egg mixture.

Pour egg mixture into preheated pie dish. Bake 40 minutes, or until set. Serve with a green salad or other vegetable.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

I just love your meatless receipes. I'm saving most into a file for all Friday use.

Thanks so much for doing my work for me!

Lucy said...

I'm so glad we can help, Barbara!

Our hope is that everyone can find some meatless recipes they like. I'm happy to hear that you like the ones we picked this year.

PS: You can check out last year's 40 Meatless Meals by clicking on that tag in the Label Cloud, then clicking on "Older Posts."

Happy cooking!

Anonymous said...

"Peel and potatoes." Peel and shred the potatoes, then soak them in water? I hope to make this for dinner tonight as I am at work and just realized that last night I failed to take out any meat to defrost.

Lucy said...

Peel and GRATE potatoes.

Thanks for the catch.

Anonymous said...

Made it for dinner with a salad and string beans. My sons, who groan unless there is some sort of meat in the meal, gave it a thumbs up! Thanks so much for this success.