Sunday, August 19, 2012

A question from a reader

I am on a mission to provide chapel veils for free to anyone who is interested in wearing them.  I've been buying on ebay, vintage, and my wallet just won't tolerate it anymore =)  I sew.  I know I can make them.  What I need are patterns or size suggestions.  I've seen the shell type, your D shape, the large circles and have quite a few of the triangular mantilla on hand.  I'd like to make some for young girls and was thinking the large circle or maybe an oval shape that would cover hair but be off the shoulders would be a good way to go.  That is also a good shape for moms with squirmy babies =)  Is it really just a big circle or is it oval in shape?

You can go to our archives to find more on working with lace or veils in general, but I also found very nice directions here, some general guidelines here, and etsy is always a source of inspiration.

I've also made something like this from a pattern I bought.  (I can't remember the manufacturer off hand, but it is definitely something I bought at JoAnn Fabrics. These free online directions look pretty much the same.)  You can fold up the lace to wear it as a regular headband, and fan it out during Mass.

As always, we'd love to get your suggestions as well.  Just leave them in the comments box!

No comments: