Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fire up the grill!



It's time for a barbecue, in honor of St Lawrence!



St Lawrence was a 3rd century deacon who was martyred for his Christian faith, exemplified by his protection of the treasures of the Church- her poor and her material wealth, including her intellectual tradition.

St Augustine wrote "[Lawrence] ministered the sacred blood of Christ; there for the sake of Christ’s name he poured out his own blood. Saint John the apostle was evidently teaching us about the mystery of the Lord’s supper when he wrote: “Just as Christ laid down his life for us, so we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.” My brethren, Lawrence understood this and, understanding, he acted on it. In his life he loved Christ; in his death he followed in his footsteps."


Follow St Lawrence's advice in your grilling-during his martyrdom, he cried out "Turn me over; I'm done on this side."




I'm not sure what St Lawrence would have thought of this apron, though.




Image source

















1 comment:

pinklogican said...

How funny is it that I bought an apron with the same thing on it for my husband for Fathers' Day years ago? Even worse, I once put it on with devil horns, tail, and pitch fork for Halloween (and handed out candy to my neighbors' kids in the Notre Dame married student housing)!