Friday, December 12, 2008

My darling clementine


Some citrus facts to share:

According to legend, clementines [aka Christmas oranges] were bred by Fr Clement Rodier in Algeria [source]

This children's rhyme, depicted in the Edward Hamilton Bell print
Oranges and lemons",
say the bells of St. Clement's

"You owe me five farthings",
say the bells of St. Martin's

"When will you pay me?"
say the bells of Old Bailey

"When I grow rich",
say the bells of Shoreditch

"When will that be?"
say the bells of Stepney

"I do not know",
says the great bell of Bow
is the reason English chefs associate citrus dishes with St Clement [Cooking with the Saints]. I remember a beautiful picture book with these scenes depicted in oil paintings- does anyone else?

A half-and-half mixture of orange juice and bitter-lemon soda water is known as a St Clement's. [source]

image sources:
Hale Groves
art.com

No comments: