Saturday, December 1, 2012

DIY Jesse Tree ornaments


This year, my family will begin using a Jesse tree in our Advent devotions.  With Morton Salt's handy "Dough It Yourself" handbook, I mixed up a double batch of salt dough and used this symbolism chart for inspiration.  I rolled rounds roughly the size of a regular mouth jar on a foil covered baking sheet, and swabbed a little water on top to help the symbol adhere.  After the design was complete, I poked a hole in the top of the ornament for a hanger.  I did opt to bake the ornaments for half an hour at 350  so they would be lighter and hang better from the "tree" (I was also impatient to paint!).  After the ornaments cooled, I painted them with copper acrylic paint. 

1 comment:

Pink Scissors Design said...

My family celebrates Advent with a Jesse Tree, too! I make felt sets of Jesse Tree ornaments: http://www.etsy.com/listing/109692943/jesse-tree-christmas-advent-felt-jesse