Sunday, October 18, 2009

All good gifts

May the kings of Tarshish and of the isles
render him tribute,

may the kings of Sheba and Seba bring gifts!
[Ps 72, 10]

This week, I took on slow cooker marmalade. Trust me- you'll get both great marmalade and wonderful smelling home out of this enterprise. To quote my husband, "It smells like Christmas in here!" To me, the exotic fragrance was pure Epiphany.

Lucy's Epiphany Marmalade (Fills 7-8 12 oz jars)
6 seedless oranges
4 cups water
1/4 c lemon juice
3 1/2 c sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t powdered ginger

Wash the oranges. Roughly chop whole oranges in a blender or food processor.

Place orange mixture, water, and lemon juice in slow cooker. Cook on HIGH, covered, for 2 hours.

Stir in sugar. Cook on LOW, covered, 6 hours, or until peel is translucent.

Add cinnamon and ginger. Cook on HIGH, uncovered, until thick and syrupy- 2 to 6 hours.

Store as desired (Can in jars or freeze).

3 comments:

Christina said...

Looks yummy! I have a question though - did you can this after you cooked it? It seems a bit risky to me to store at room temperature unless it was properly canned and sealed.

I bet this would make great Christmas presents.

LunaMoonbeam said...

Oh my goodness - THANK YOU. I've been looking for a slow-cooker marmalade recipe for months!!!

Lucy said...

I can also report it makes a phenomenal sauce for poultry or pork. Mix it with some soy sauce or hoisin sauce for stir-fry.

RE: my packaging note- Yes, I canned it. My mother in law puts jam in jars and then freezes them- which works great for jam just eaten at home. But you'd want to can jars given as gifts